Tuesday 18 June 2013

Commission for Ape Action Africa




A while back I was contacted by the marvellous charity Ape Action Africa to design a mug and badge for them. They wanted something which was illustrative and unique denoting the hand made human touch which can be missing these days.


Ideas have to start somewhere. My house is full of torn pages much like this one.



So of course I jumped at the chance!

Ape Action Africa is a conservation charity based in Cameroon who work on the front line of great ape protection. They rescue orphaned and injured apes and gorillas and provide care and sanctuary for them within their rainforest park. Working with local communities they aim to educate and develop long term solutions to ensure their survival in the wild.

Ah Chickaboo...can't wait to meet this one!

Fresh out of the kiln ready to be packed up.

It was a challenge to draw outside of my comfort box...Apes are rather hard to draw it would appear. But I had some great material to work from and Caroline (Chief Exec) kept on sending me you tube videos of Shufai (their rescued Gorilla) which tugged at the old heart strings I can tell you. (I'll let you judge for yourself)


It's been such a fantastic experience and opportunity to be part of and I hope to continue working with Ape Action Africa for years to come. (With maybe even a trip to met Shufai myself)

On show at The Festival of Nature in Bristol June 15 + 16th.

You can purchase both Mug and Badge from their website www.apeactionafrica.org


No comments:

Post a Comment